Life only begins after that first cup of coffee, and instant coffee just won’t get the job done. That’s why you need one of the best drip coffee makers available. As a real coffee lover, you can taste the difference between good coffee and bad coffee.
And that good cup of coffee starts with the coffee maker.
Does that necessarily mean you have to buy the most expensive and top-rated drip coffee maker (the one you have to have a degree to work)? No, it just means that you need one of the better portable drip coffee makers.
A good home drip coffee maker is still the most popular type of brewer available today.
Table of Contents
- What is a Drip Coffee Maker?
- Top-Rated Drip Coffee Makers
- 1. BUNN BT 10-Cup Brewer
- 2. Bonavita 8-Cup Coffee Maker
- 3. Breville BDC600XL YouBrew Drip Coffee Maker
- 4. Cuisinart Grind & Brew 12 Cup Coffeemaker
- 5. Mr. Coffee 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker
- 6. Melitta 10-Cup Coffee Maker
- 7. Hamilton Beach Single Serve Coffee Brewer and Full Pot Coffee Maker
- 8. Mr. Coffee DRX5 4-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker, Black
- 9. Bunn 10 Cup Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker
- 10. Black & Decker CM618 Single Serve Coffee Maker, Black
- Bottom Line
What is a Drip Coffee Maker?
This type of coffee maker involves pouring water over roasted and ground coffee beans. The coffee maker contains a filter, and the water poured over the ground coffee absorbs the oils and essences of the coffee. Then the water flows into a collecting pot or carafe.
The Right Choice
There are a number of drip coffee makers on the market, so finding the right one can be a bit of a problem. The sheer number of options leads to confusion in selection of price and type.
More importantly, you should pay attention to the brewing capacity of the coffee maker. The most common is the 12-cup brewer, but there are also smaller models – like the 4-cup model, which is more practical for small households.
Even if you aren’t a coffee drinker, you might want to think about keeping a drip coffee brewer on hand.
How to Choose?
There are hundreds (if not thousands) of different coffee maker choices, and selecting the right one for you isn’t always a price decision. You want to analyze several factors when looking at drip coffee makers.
1. Size – look at the size of your kitchen or office and make sure the coffee maker size fits in the area you have planned. Consider the placement of the water reservoir as well, when you’re fitting a coffee maker in a tight space. You need to be able to access or take the reservoir out easily to add water.
2. Pot Style – the thermal or glass plate needs to resist breakage and keep coffee warm. Consider whether you need a thermal pot or not. If you drink your coffee quickly you might only need a warming plate, but this can overheat the coffee if left on too long. In this case, you might want a thermal pot.
3. Capacity – Consider the number of cups you need to brew. If it’s for a family or for an office you’ll want a larger brewer, but if it’s just for you, a single brewer might do the trick. Also pay attention to the capacity when measured by ounces – a brewer that makes ten four-ounce cups has the same capacity as a brewer that makes eight five-ounce cups.
4. Brew Speed – Some home drip coffee makers have a faster brew speed which is because of the higher wattage. This depends on taste. Some people like a faster brewer and others prefer longer seeping.
5. Cleaning – Consider the ease of cleaning when you buy a coffee maker. Can you detach the permanent filter and clean it easily? What about the housing? If you can’t clean it easily, the coffee oils will cause brews to deteriorate, causing a bitter taste.
6. Filter Type – Think about the type of filters it uses. Make sure these can be easily replaced, as even “permanent” filters will eventually wear out.
7. Programmable – Can you program the coffee maker to start before you get out of bed? Do you need a coffee maker with a feature like this, and will you use it?
8. Extras – Some coffee makers have extra features, like a built in grinder and a steam nozzle for milk. Consider these features and whether you really want them.
Top-Rated Drip Coffee Makers
To help you make a better choice when selecting a drip coffee maker, we have put together this guide of our picks for the top 10 drip coffee makers available now.
1. BUNN BT 10-Cup Brewer
We name this a top pick because of its design, style, functionality, and durability. This top coffee drip brewer can make up to 10 cups of coffee in just 10 minutes. It is a traditional reservoir-style coffee maker, but comes in a few steps above the traditional brewer for a number of reasons.
The spray head is also another issue we often see come up with drip coffee makers, but not with this one. The design improves the flavor extraction which is great for coffee and tea, as well. For the true coffee connoisseur this is important.
Bunn is a legendary coffee maker manufacturer, and well-known for their coffee makers. However it wasn’t until recently that they started specializing in portable drip coffee makers. One of the best recommendations on this machine is its ability to brew coffee in just 3 minutes, a process that pulls all of the taste from the bean.
Personally, I like the steel thermal carafe option as it helps keep coffee warm for several hours, but there is also a model that comes with the more traditional glass pot. The classic design is of commercial materials which make it more durable. Best of all, you get a 3 year warranty here, which means the company stands behind its product’s quality and service.
This is another favorite because it has a 1400W heater which keeps the coffee warmed to the perfect temperature. Engineered for perfect coffee ground and water mix, this offers a high-quality stainless steel coffeemaker that is free of all BPA plastics.
Produced by a German coffee maker that stands for quality, it comes with a stainless steel thermal carafe that keeps coffee warm. It’s an 8-cup coffee maker that is certified as one of the best on the market.
We rate this high on our list of drip coffee makers because it is the machine for the discerning coffee drinker. It offers no plastic taste or smell and has a pre-infusion feature that allows you to get the full flavor and aroma of a good cup of coffee. The coffee is not scalding but remains hot for a long period of time and the machine functions perfectly at extracting the best of the coffee bean.
3. Breville BDC600XL YouBrew Drip Coffee Maker
The Breville is a top drip coffee maker as it brews a perfect cup of coffee by adding just the right amount of water, heat, and coffee. The bean hopper and integrated grinder allows you to use the best coffee beans available. Plus it has a setting option that allows you to brew just one cup or 8 cups of coffee.
The settings allow you to make just one cup of coffee or up to 12 cups, and you can use different cup-sized carafes as well as the 12-cup carafe. Besides size, it also comes with a brew selector that allows you to make up to 7 different brew and flavor settings, which allows you to find the perfect cup of coffee.
The integrated grinder lets you try different gourmet coffee blends, and grind only as much coffee as you are going to brew, which is the feature that makes your home brew taste just as good as that of a coffee house.
The manufacturer has also included important safety features here with the 2-hour automatic shutoff switch.
4. Cuisinart Grind & Brew 12 Cup Coffeemaker
Cuisinart is a well-known brand and this 12-cup coffeemaker offers the award-winning functionality known to this company. With a programmable coffeemaker that you can set up to 24 hours early, an automatic pause feature that lets you grab a quick cup of coffee, and an integrated grinder. You can’t go wrong here.
The carafe is double insulated and offers a comfort handle for heat protection for the user. The 8-ounce bean hopper holds up to a half-pound of beans and a charcoal water filter to help brew the freshest and best-tasting coffee. The different coffee brew settings let you brew from 1 to 12 cups. The design is minimalistic with a nice brushed metal finish which helps eliminate oily finger prints and keeps the machine clean.
One of the nicer features on the Cuisinart is the water filtration system that eliminates chlorine, metals and minerals from the water used; a feature that ensures a great coffee taste.
Safety is also included here, as there is a shutoff feature which you can program from 0 to 4 hours.
5. Mr. Coffee 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker
While Mr. Coffee is known for its affordability, this doesn’t necessarily mean that this 12 cup drip coffee maker doesn’t offer value. This coffee maker offers an integrated water filtration system that removes almost 100% of all chlorine, which makes for an incredible cup of coffee. The timer allows you to program your brew time so you can enjoy a morning cup of coffee right out of bed, or an afternoon cup without having to worry about filling the coffee maker up every time.
Another strong selling point here is the “Freshness Timer” which keeps track of coffee freshness. The brew strength feature allows you to choose the strength of flavor and the pause feature stops the coffee flow while you get a fresh cup of coffee. There is also an integrated cleaning cycle that tells you when you should clean the coffee maker to keep the taste as fresh as possible.
6. Melitta 10-Cup Coffee Maker
This 10-cup coffee maker offers that thermal carafe for keeping your coffee warmer for longer, but it also offers the perfect cup of coffee. This is a beautifully detailed coffee maker with a functionality designed to make the most of any good coffee brand. The carafe is vacuum-sealed to keep the aroma and flavor in. There is a thumb-activated pour spout which makes it easier to pour. It also comes with an integrated brew control that allows you to control the coffee taste. This works well for small spaces as the filter is flip out styled for easier access.
It also comes with automatic programming allowing you to make coffee ahead of time in the morning or any time throughout the day. For those of you in a hurry, there is a convenient flow pause feature that stops the brewing while you get a quick cup to go. The carafe is glass but there is an adjustable heating plate to keep it warmer for longer.
7. Hamilton Beach Single Serve Coffee Brewer and Full Pot Coffee Maker
Unlike other coffeemakers, this offers an integrated two ways to be. You don’t have to change carafes, or settings, or filters. Just select whether you want a full pot of coffee or just a mug. It comes with a single side water carafe or a larger 12-cup filling carafe which makes it faster and more convenient to use for coffee drinkers on the go. It also has a pod holder when you have single serve coffee products.
The one thing every real coffee lover demands is control over the brew, as there are times when you want a stronger brew and times when you want a milder coffee flavor. This Hamilton Beach is equipped with this feature, and also an auto program feature that allows you to choose the time of the next brew. For safety, the company has included a 2-hour automatic shutoff feature that turns the machine off, just in case you forgot to do it before you left for work.
8. Mr. Coffee DRX5 4-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker, Black
Sometimes you just don’t need a full 8- to 12-cup coffee maker. If you live alone or with a spouse you could be wasting a lot of coffee by making too much coffee every day. Instead you’ll want a smaller coffee maker. This is a basic model that has just a few features, but sometimes that’s all you need for a small home or office.
This Mr. Coffee home drip coffee maker has an On/Off LED light that informs you of its status. It also has a basic removable filter basket for easy cleaning and filling. Although this is a pretty basic coffee maker, it does have a nice pause feature that allows you to serve a cup even when the brew isn’t finished dripping.
9. Bunn 10 Cup Thermal Carafe Coffee Maker
Bunn is usually known as a commercial coffeemaker, however, the company seems to have pushed into the home drip coffeemaker market with this machine. This is a nice home brewer that can make up to 10 cups of coffee. It has that fast coffee feature, where it can make a full 10 cups in under 3 minutes. The water tank is made of stainless steel which is a much better option for sanitizing. The spray head helps improve the coffee flavor as it extracts all the coffee benefits.
10. Black & Decker CM618 Single Serve Coffee Maker, Black
The one frustrating thing about being single is finding a coffeemaker that makes just one or two cups of coffee. No one likes drinking day-old coffee, but when you’re single and you brew coffee in a conventional coffeemaker, you often end up with a lot more coffee than you can handle. This is a single-cup coffee maker that brews that one good mug of coffee. It has a thermal mug which means you can take your coffee to go. The coffee maker is easy to clean, comes with an illuminated Power LED light and a convenient refill filter that makes it easy to use.
The best drip coffee maker is one that fits your needs. The above 10 coffee makers are among the top rated and will give you several years of good use. All you have to decide on are the features you want in a home drip coffeemaker.