Ceramic cookware represents some of the most versatile tools you can keep in your kitchen. From the oven to the table, microwave to the fridge, and even glass cooktops, your ceramic is going to hold up to almost anything you throw at it. (Well, as long as you’re not throwing other cookware at it!) It’s relatively non-stick, which is always a perk, but if you do need to do some scrubbing – your ceramic can take it.
Of course, it’s not without its own flaws, either. If you’re purchasing lower-end ceramic, it has the potential to discolor your cooktop. Additionally, dropping one of these things can be an expensive mistake. You might shatter your cookware, or even crack your flooring (depending on the materials used in your house).
It’s also very important that you read the seasoning instructions before you begin, as they aren’t exactly ready “right out of the box”. Most of the complaints that come from ceramic cookware stem from the user’s failure to properly maintain their equipment. After all, your cooking is an art – you have to take care of your instruments!
For those who enjoy the versatility that ceramic offers, there are a few things you should keep in mind to be sure you’re getting the best for your money:
- Color: Since ceramic cookware offers many color options, it shouldn’t be too difficult to find a set that matches with your décor. After all, if you have a nice set, why wouldn’t you show it off?
- Oven Use: Even though ceramic is often promoted as being capable of handling multiple cooking methods, the truth is, not all sets are created equal. If you intend to use yours in your oven, you’ll need to ensure that it’s safe to do so.
- All-Ceramic or Ceramic-Coated: Typically, sets that are ceramic-coated (rather than fully ceramic) will take the best of both worlds in terms of their construction. While you might think that all-one-material is the best option, in most cases it’s not. (It’s important to note that the ceramic-coated pans will not be microwave safe, unlike their all-ceramic counterparts.)
- Cool Handle: Of course, this applies widely to all cookware: It should have a handle that’s less susceptible to the heat than the rest of the pan. However, in terms of ceramic cookware, it should also be a material that is safe to use in an oven – after all, that is one of the perks of ceramic, right?
- Dishwasher Safe: Not everyone has a power dishwasher, so it won’t be important to everyone. But for those who hate hand-washing their cookware, the ability to toss it in the dishwasher without worrying about damage is a huge convenience. Of course, you will always have better durability from your pots and pans if you do wash them by hand.
- Fair Price: No matter what your budget, you never want to spend more than what’s reasonable for a product.
Top Ceramic Cookwares
Think you’re ready to pick the perfect ceramic cookware for you? Here are some of our top choices.
GreenLife 14 Piece Nonstick Ceramic Cookware Set with Soft Grip
For those that want their kitchen to showcase a pop of color, the GreenLife Nonstick Ceramic Cookware Set is an artistic choice. 14 pieces of gorgeous ceramic-coated aluminum (in three eye-catching color options) ensure that your cookware can give a glimpse into your personal style. The Bakelite handles stay cool, even when used in the oven. (Rated safe up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit/180 degrees Celsius.) This Bakelite handle has a soft texture, too – just what you need to maintain a safe grip.
This ceramic/aluminum combination offers stability, great heat distribution, and a solid base. The special ceramic coating helps your food to glide across the pan – no sticking allowed. Available in red, turquoise, or black.
WearEver C943SF Pure Living Nonstick Ceramic Coating PTFE / PFOA Free Dishwasher Safe Cookware Set
For those who value the sustainability of their cookware, WearEver offers their Pure Living Nonstick Ceramic Coating Cookware Set. Not only is this set free of PTFE (Teflon), cadmium, and PFOA (C8), but it is also recyclable – something that not many cooking utensils of any type can claim. Like the GreenLife set, these are made of ceramic-coated aluminum assembled in a four-layer process. These layers work together in order to provide the user with an easy-clean exterior, a solid core, a hard ceramic base, and a quick-release non-stick finish. These pans are stain resistant, scratch resistant, and super durable.
Unlike the GreenLife set, you don’t get options in terms of color – just red here – but there are two different “sizes” you can choose from: The 10-piece set and the 15-piece set. The right one for you will depend on your specific cookware needs, of course, but with the proper care, this set should last you for years.
Cook N Home NC-00358 Nonstick Ceramic Coating 10-Piece Cookware Set
If you like the sound of the WearEver set but your budget isn’t quite ready for that big of an investment, consider Cook N Home’s Nonstick Ceramic Coating 10-Piece Cookware Set. This is considered a budget set, but that doesn’t mean that it can’t hold up to your continued use. With proper care, even a budget set can be a family favorite – and especially if you’re concerned about whether you’ll like them or not, it may be best to choose a less expensive product.
With this less expensive set, it is absolutely important that you properly care for them, otherwise they will not last as intended and you will be rather disappointed. However, with the appropriate care measures taken, this set will last at least long enough to give you a feel if ceramic is right for you. Available in red and lime green.
T-Fal C921SE Initiatives Ceramic Nonstick PTFE-PFOA-Cadmium Free Dishwasher Safe Oven Safe Cookware Set
Do you need plenty of options when it comes to your cookware set? Maybe you have a kitchen that just needs a touch of gold, or you need a small set (six pieces) or a very large set (16 pieces). Well, T-Fal has you covered! Their Initiatives set offers three different color options and four different package sizes to suit almost every need. It’s a bit pricier than the other sets on our list, but it’s T-Fal – they’re a cooking giant. It makes sense that they charge more.
The pans themselves are great in this set, but be warned that the handles may come loose after some time. Also, given the nature of ceramic cookware in the first place, it’s absolutely essential that you take proper care of them. With this particular set, this extends to the handles, too. As long as you’re gentle with them and only use them as they’re intended, this set is beautiful.
Available in 6-piece, 10-piece, 14-piece, and 16-piece sets. Gold, red, or black – available in some sets, but not others. Your individual preferences may vary, but T-Fal definitely lives up to their reputation with this one.